Friday, January 11, 2008

I Never Thought...

If you had asked me 4 years ago, I'd never have guessed the position I'd be in today.

It's been almost 3 years since my dad passed away. I have watched in agony to see the struggle my mother has gone though trying to live - really find a reason to live - without him.

Sure she has her kids and grandchildren, and sure she has her faith that she knows my dad is where he is meant to be; but how do you translate that into really feeling like you have a purpose here?

Last summer she took a major leap of faith and went to an LDS Singles weekend in Eastern Washington. She wanted someone to go with her but we all were unavailable. So she went anyway (miracle #1). She was partnered with a wonderful divorced woman as her roommate - Katrina - who really took mom on as a "social" project. She is younger than mom and I think her zest for life and wanting more out of it, rubbed off on mom.

Once back on this side of the mountain Katrina made sure she got my mom to continue going to the single adult dances and mom's work schedule changed allowing her to do this, where she had been working nights and couldn't go (miracle #2). She really seemed to be enjoying herself and it didn't take long for her to turn a few heads.

Enter stage left - Tom. She told me several months back that she had been asked on a date by someone from the dances. "Great" I said and promptly got the who, what, where, why and when. Their first date was to the LDS Seattle Temple. Nice move Tom. That's the way straight to an LDS woman's heart, let her know you are temple worthy and committed to attending the temple. Second date also to the temple.

So since, I think September or October, dances every weekend and several temple dates as well we've come to know Tom much better and appreciate the spark he has brought back into Mom's eyes. Truth be told on occasion she acts like a love sick teenager, but considering everyting she's gone through I think she deserves that (miracle #3).

So now we're back to me and my position....Mom came home Thursday night with a finger ornament! (For those of you who don't get my sense of humor - an engagement ring) She didn't say anything at first and if you can believe Terry was actually the first one to notice. She was beaming and sort of floating above the floor (miracle #4). So now I'm in the position of helping my mom plan her wedding! Never would've thought that.

Part of me thinks I should be worried and stressed with all the unknowns they'll have to deal with melding two families, but at least she now won't have to face her unknowns alone! (miracle #5)

Conratulations Mom & Tom!!
(Hey that rhymes :-)

0 comments:

Welcome Friends!

Welcome to the Werner Family Blog. We thought this would be a fun way to keep our friends and family up-to-date with the happenings of our lives.

If you too have a blog or website for your family, please let us know. People come in and out of our lives at different times and for different reasons, but it's always nice to keep in touch!